Who are you reporting to? The CEO
Team Structure: Highly collaborative with the CEO/team leads but an autonomous finance team member for a 3-6 month period; expectations are to build a team as needed in place.
Career Satisfaction Potential: Super high. This role is new and quite open to where you can take it. For the ambitious and those who crave autonomy, this would be a very satisfying role.
What you’ll accomplish in:
- Rebuild FC’s strategic model to ensure the team has insights into 24-mo projected performance, budgets and cash burn
- Develop company-wide KPIs and a framework to allocate resources
- Take over many financial/admin processes that are currently being outsourced
180 Days & Beyond
- Become a strategic partner to each business leader at the company
- Own Investor Relations including developing and executing a fundraising roadmap
- Ensure business leaders hit budget and plan
- Know the levers that drive fundamental value creation at FC & ensure resources are being allocated against those initiatives (M&A, marketing, headcount)
What are you good at and what are your interests?
- You can take complex problems and create processes around them
- Strong in data analytics, especially in excel
- Organizing disparate sources of data to derive insights for decision-making
- You’re an outgoing individual who has an entrepreneurial spirit
- High integrity: you’re mature enough to handle the most sensitive information at a company
Questions you should answer as you consider this role:
- Are you good at finance and want more operating experience?
- Will you enjoy a fast-moving entrepreneurial environment?
- Can you thrive in an environment where you’ll work alone for stretches, collaboratively and for a CEO that is very demanding?
- Do you want to be part of a team that builds and disrupts the language learning industry?
Job Description (the ‘nitty gritty’)
- Develop business KPIs. We are looking for someone who proactively analyze KPIs and suggest new metrics we should be tracking across all functions. Knowledge of SQL is a nice to have (but you’ll learn after 90-days)
- Board deck creation. You’ll outline, and work with functional leaders to get their respective inputs, creating package of supplemental materials.
- Financial budgeting and management. You will own the 5 year strategic model that forecasts the next 24 months on a monthly basis. This will be a dynamic model that ties to our Chart of Accounts and provides us accurate cash forecasts.
- You’ll dive deep and understand each line item that you are forecasting and provide guidance for functional stakeholders to drive improvements.
- Over time, you’ll become a creating thought partner with functional leaders and provide them guidance on how to create strategic plans with the highest ROI.
- Capital raise
- Thought partner with the CEO but owns the process end-to-end including building relationships, presenting in meetings, and develop strategy
- Ongoing Strategic Analyses. Recent examples:
- Model the impact if we moved from FCHQ - breakeven point on rent in the new space, model build out costs, etc.
- M&A modeling
- Marketing model including allocation to increasing brick and mortar classes or. online lessons.
- PEO admin & process contractor payroll
- Proactively manage team comp - salary analyses to manage to budget, forecast and plan. Build bonus and performance comp and commission plans
- Proactively manage all team benefits - healthcare, 401K, new programs. Has the EQ to take a human-centered approach to benefits design.
- Bank and Credit Cards - review statements, approve payments, manage cardmembers AP - review, approve (with an eye towards our burn and cash management), issue resolution
- Develop a process to in-source accounting/finance from our third party vendor. You may take over many of these processes in the interim
- Manage core Fin/HR/compliance systems (JustWorks, ADP, 1Password, HelloSign, etc.)
- Manage year-end tax process
- Key stakeholder in all large purchase decisions. Works with functional leaders on decisions, approves spend and ensures right option for us
- Manage all compliance/annual reports for legal entities
- Proactively manage legal spend (e.g., find cheaper lawyers, do basic research themselves)
- Own our core contracts - offer letters, contractors agreements, PIIAs, NDAs & lead or participate in negotiations as needed, keep well-organized and filed
About Fluent City
The Mission: To help students around the world achieve their goals by focusing on conversation and functional proficiency rather than academic knowledge of the language.
- 25,000 students taught
- 300+ instructors on staff
- B2B client examples - Enterprise (the NFL, Calvin Klien), Tech (Dataminr), Media/Entertainment (Madame Secretary, Mozart in the Jungle), Agencies (Huge)
- Why we're doing this:
- Language learning outcomes are some of the worst in any field
- The former market leaders have retreated (e.g., Rosetta Stone has a -7% 5-year CAGR)
- Industry is ripe for innovation
Group Classes: We run small, social, immersive language classes in NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia, DC and Boston for every level of experience. Our style is unique, and completely different from the traditional grammar-focused teaching methods. We focus on the confidence and conversational skills you need to connect and communicate in a real-world environment.
Private Lessons: Learn in-person in a 1-on-1 environment with a Fluent City teacher. The student decides what, when, and where to learn with flexible scheduling and a tailored curriculum. It’s our most popular learning choice for busy people, those who need to get fluent fast, and to cover off specific learning goals that aren’t covered elsewhere.
Online Lessons: Learn one-on-one from anywhere with WiFi, with video chat. With a monthly subscription to online lessons, students with all levels of knowledge can learn with an expert teacher. Unlike other online learning methods, this is the only method where you’re guaranteed a skilled, experienced language teacher to rapidly increase conversational fluency.
B2B: We partner with a diverse range of brands, corporations and not-for-profits to meet their language-related performance outcomes. From the NFL to Goldman Sachs, Viacom to Calvin Klein, Doctors without Borders to TV’s Madame Secretary; we tailor learning options across group classes, in-person and online lessons based on the client’s unique needs.